If memory serves me correctly over the last ten months i wrote about my dalliances into possible romantic and/or BDSM connected relationships. None has panned out i thought primarily because they were long distance romances. It is extremely difficult to keep a long distance relationship going without a strong commitment, openness, honesty, and having interests in common.
Recently the sucker (me) was being reeled in once again until i remembered similar words and phrases not typically said by American or for that matter British men in an online context. i had enjoyed being contacted on recon.com by the handsome middle aged man in San Francisco who found me attractive and my profile enticing. Then, several days and several texts later, i read, "dear, I've missed you dear". This was very similar to the phrasing my last Nigerian?? scammer used. So, i immediately blocked and reported the person to recon.com.
Since this has happened more than once i think my forehead and profile must have a sign reading, "sucker available". And i am not implying the good kind of sucker…a cocksucker.
So, why does this keep happening? i suppose i should just chalk it up to the thousands of professional online scammers out there preying on the lovelorn, and the seemingly desperate older love seekers. They know what to say, how to compliment, how to get the victim to talk about themselves while sharing little information about themselves. After a couple weeks of stringing the victim, the patsy, along, the scammer asks for a relatively small amount of money for something extremely important. If the patsy sends the money, they will likely send even more as they are strung along.
Red flags that Y/you May Be the Target of a Scam:
- Stilted English used by the person in text
- Incorrect use or inaccurate stating of idioms
- Using terms of endearment very quickly such as "dear"
- Quickly professing love to Y/you
- Offering many compliments
- Conversation that is actually superficial – lacks depth and equal amounts of personal sharing
- No response to specific questions Y/you might ask someone with whom Y/you are seeking a Relationship
- Requests for a new picture be taken at a well known site in their city will be ignored or another pic of the person they are representing themselves to be will be stolen from the Internet
- They will ask for money and only Y/you can help them with this problem or situation
- They suddenly cut off communication if questioned or the money is not sent
Look for these clues with every strange new person who contacts Y/you on a dating or hookup site.
Be safe, don't be a victim –
Thanks for reading,